There is some debate whether or not your website should be more personal or more business oriented.
Well, it depends on whether you are a multi-truck company or a one-man show.
A large cleaning firm can do well with a slick business site displaying expensive graphics and flashy extras. They are focused mainly on promoting their brand, but the majority of us have a small operation with 1 or 2 trucks and therefore need to take a different approach.
In this industry residential and small commercial customers want to deal with a familiar face. That is why it is so important to promote yourself not your company. Real estate agents figured this out a long time ago. This is what I do for my small business and I know it works because my customers tell me so.
Follow these 5 steps to make your carpet cleaning website more personal:
1. Use personal photos and videos. You can use some professional graphics in your website, but it is also good to include photos that you took yourself. This includes photos of your truck, your face (make it a good one) and even your family. Customers appreciate this and will remember your face when you show up to do the cleaning or the estimate.
Videos can go along way. I created a demo clip in which my 1 year old daughter and I make a mess on a white carpet and then clean it up. I can’t tell you how many people have commented on how much they liked it.
2. Use your own voice. This is especially important on the Home and About pages. Customers like to feel that you are speaking directly to them. They don’t want to be fed the same old sales pitch that all the competition is spouting. Take some time to really say something unique and honest. Customer’s will respond.
3. Provide testimonials. This is a big one. 2 or 3 are great, but 15 or 16 are better. Make sure to always include the person’s first name and city or neighborhood. This makes you look more like a community service rather than a faceless company.
4. Write updates or blog posts. People (and search engines) like to see fresh content. That is why a blog is so beneficial. You can make connections with customers by giving them simple cleaning tips, new services that you offer or even updates about new employees. You don’t need to constantly be writing everyday, once every 2 months is plenty.
5. Use a local phone number and address. Clients that are looking for a personal touch are more likely to call a local number than an 800 or toll free number. This also helps with SEO as search engines are becoming more focused on local rankings.