Full Screen Mode Recommended
Welcome to Part 2 of my ongoing video series that teaches carpet cleaners how to rank their websites using SEO or Search Engine Optimization.
In this part we learn how to set your site up for SEO by adding keywords to certain areas of your website pages.
Onsite SEO is simply making sure that keywords are correctly positioned on your website so that when Google finds your site it knows what to rank for.
The first thing we want to do is determine which keywords to target. Of course targeting the most popular searched keywords will be the most profitable, but will also have the most competition. To find out which keywords are searched the most review my tutorial:
Once you have decided on which keywords to target pick 2 or 3 that you want to target for your each page. You don’t want to target more that 3 keywords per page, so if you have 10 different services you will want 10 separate pages for each service so you can target variations of each keyword on specific pages. Use your homepage for the most popular keywords. Don’t try to rank your homepage for 10 keywords. It WON’T work, stick with 2 or 3!
There are 5 places on web page that you want place these keywords. If you designed your own website you will need to figure out how to enter this stuff using your platform. Otherwise your web designer will have to do this for you. You can always copy and paste this stuff and email it to your web designer so they know exactly what your talking about, just make sure you give them the correct keywords to use for each page. If they don’t know what you’re talking about, fire them and find one that does.
Don’t worry about the technical stuff just Email This To Your Web Designer:
1. You want keywords in your page Title . Each page on your website has a specific Title. This is what Google displays in the search results when your website shows up. To find out what your page Title is look at the very top of your browser window (all the way at the top). You will see something like this: Carpet Cleaning Columbus – Columbus Carpet Cleaners. Your keywords need to be in there. If you have your company name that’s ok, but also make sure you have at least 2 keywords.
2. You want the keywords in your page meta “description”. Google will also show this in the search results.
Go to the code view page with Cntrl+U and look for some thing like this: “description” content=”Missoula carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning. Give us a call”. Your keywords need to be in the description. Very Important!
3. You also want keywords in H1 or H2 Tags on your website. These are just big bold lettering on your website that usually appear at the top of a page or section titles. Keywords need to be in the H Tags!
4. Next, you want the keywords to show up once or twice in the body or text of the page. Try to work into a sentence so it sounds natural to the reader.
5. Finally, you want keywords to show up in the “alt” tag for each picture on the page. This not something you see when looking at the website. It is hidden in the code. Any good web designer will know exactly how to enter “alt” tags for each image.
That’s it for onsite SEO. You can also use this stuff to scope out the competition and see what keywords they are trying to rank for. Just don’t try to copy them exactly. Google doesn’t go for that. Now that you have correctly place keywords in the 5 key areas, it’s time to build backlinks that target specific pages and keywords.